Iron Cycles has blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ironcycles.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Giro Gauge Mountain Shoes Unboxed and On Test

Giro is a new brand for us by the way of shoes, but we've been very happy with their helmets from Day 1. Giro's Atmos was my favorite helmet for a couple of years before a short hiatus away from Giro. Now I'm back on Giro's sidelines with an Aeon on my head and the Gauge on my feet.

The fit is different from my previous Sidi Spiders, I had to size up from my previous 44.5 to 45. The volume seems to feel very similar on both shoes, with the Sidi fitting slightly more narrow.

Set up was very straightforward with the Gauge using two velcro straps and one very-easy-to-use buckle. I did have a little bit of an issue setting up cleats as the plate the cleats bolt to had gotten stuck while in the box and didn't want to move. About 3 minutes of fiddling got it loose and I was set to roll.

Quality seems to be inline with comparable shoes from other brands, although I'd put these $200 Gauges against the $260 Sidi Dominator any day. I'd even give the nod to the Gauge in the style department over the Dominator, but that's personal opinion.

Once set up, the stiffness of the Gauge sole was immediately noticeable. Upon the first ride I feel confident in saying the Gauge is significantly stiffer than the Spider. The upper seems plenty soft and pliable, but the sole is night and day different.

The stiffness of the sole both excites and worries me. Pedaling efficiency seems out of this world, but with such a stiff sole I am left wondering how the Gauge will work as a CX shoe. Our courses in the ChiCrossCup have very little running, but I am a bit concerned whether these shoes will feel too stiff to run barriers. Time will tell.

Easton is to thank for the stiffness of the sole, comprised of EC70-level carbon. It's a bit disappointing that the lugs aren't replaceable in this shoe, then again they aren't replaceable on the Sidi Dominator either. To get the replaceable sole from Sidi you have to move up to the Spider at $360, which is obviously a huge jump.

After only one ride I think the biggest compliment to be paid to the Gauge is that I am drawing comparisons between it and the Spider rather than the Dominator. At nearly half the price of the Spider, the Giro is looking to be an incredible value.

Time to get some real time on the pedals with these kicks, but the first impression is really solid!

No comments:

Post a Comment