Iron Cycles has blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ironcycles.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, August 8, 2009

The first of many Iron Cycles Racing wins!

In the words of Tim Yuska, our first race winner. The team has been around for roughly 2 weeks, the uniforms aren't even in, yet we are starting on the right foot!

Take it away Tim:

Tour of Elk Grove - Cat4 recap

My first 1st + the best prize purse of the season + primetastic solo ride = Perfect day

The Race: On the first lap Ben Widoff did his usual mountain bike hole shot start and picked up a couple guys willing to go with him. Beginning from the third row, I stayed in the pack. After a few laps the breakaway had taken down their second prime and I worried that they would be able to keep adding seconds to their lead. Knowing that a break a four working together would have a good chance to stay away, I put in a big dig near the start/finish to leave the pack and bridge up. After joining I took a few seconds to recover and moved to the front for a pull.

Everyone was willing to work as able, but it wasn’t very coordinated. Rain had started to sprinkle by the next time the prime bell was rung for $75. We cautioned each other to take it easy through the turns and watch for slippery pavement markings. I knew that Ben W. would jump for the prime, he’s stolen a few from me this year, so I beat him to the punch by jumping first and held off his charge. $75, sweet! My first ever successfully contested prime. Our break of four was now down to two. As we hit the apex of the 180degree turn, I’m thinking of how Ben and I can work together … and then Ben slides out on the wet pavement.

Go! Go! Go! Go! My mind is screaming. I shift a gear and exit the corner like I stole something. Each lap you are able to look across the divided road at the chasing pack to see how close they are. I don’t remember how much time I had left when I went solo, too busy looking at my stem, burying myself, rather than checking the clock. I prayed that they would ring the prime bell each time I passed the start line. I picked up another $25 dollars and a few laps later another $50. Each time through the 180degree turn it looked like the pack was closing in, but I must have been quicker entering and exiting in the slick conditions to maintain my gap. The final lap bell rang and I knew it was all or nothing. I shifted down another gear … and my legs said “Hell No” so I shifted back and kept my cadence up. With 400 meters to go after exiting the final turn I knew I had it won. Now what, I’ve never done this before!?!?! With 50M to go my hands were still stuck to the bars, afraid of being that guy who wipes out before the finish. I finally muster the courage to post up and give a big shout. Man that felt good!!! I need to do that more often

The reflection: I’ve learned a lot of skills and met a lot of great people from different teams this summer. These crits are a tough riddle. Being strong is not enough to win. Tactical thinking, positioning ability and DETERMINATION to win is a huge asset. A mental slip will cost you several positions and possibly a win. I know that I still have a lot to learn, but I submitted my Cat3 upgrade and have been approved. I am preparing myself for another learning curve, but look forward to pushing myself against better competition. For now, I’m heading back to fat tires and dirt. I have a couple big mountain bike races, Ore2Shore and Chequamegon, before ramping up for Act 2 of my season with Cyclocross. Hopefully it ends as well as Act 1.

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment