Iron Cycles has blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ironcycles.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Barry-Roubaix Race Report #2

From Brandon Elliott:

I got to the park a little late, not from sleeping in or anything like that, just moseying over. The park was backed up big time, so the 90 minutes or so I thought I would have was cut to about 45 minutes to warm up. No big deal, plenty of time.

Lining up was a little crazy with 400+ racers in wave 2 with me, but I found my way to roughly the 4th row. We were sent off with a shout from the announcer and I made my way up to the motorcycle for the roll out.

A few miles tick by with people sharing pulls until I know we're coming close to the first deciding climb on Sager Rd. It's a double-track section of Jeep trail that's rocky and a little rough. When I saw the turn to the climb I made a move to about 5th wheel behind Ed Bagley. We made the turn together and Ed pulled off! I thought he dropped his chain or something but no time to check on him, 2 guys made a break for it! Try as I might I couldn't close those two, but I did find a wheel of a guy on a fixed gear bike absolutely killing this rocky hill.

The fixie rider and I knocked out about 15 miles together chasing the two man break, but we couldn't get there. At about mile 20 a pack of 20 or so guys swallowed us up. We all hammered some hills together, and at roughly mile 25 we picked up the two guys who rode off at the beginning!

Now as a big packed we rushed through the last few hills, and the final 3-4 miles of pavement, which were primarily down hill.

The pace picked up with 2 miles to go. Small attack after small attack are closed, then we make a fast sweeping left into the park.

We're down to about 1500 yards. An attack comes from the left and 4 of us run him down.
1000 yards. Soft attack from the left again, no big deal.

500 yards, hard attack from the right and I get on his wheel.

200 yards to go and 3 of us are away.

100 yards and a sharp chicane to the left, I sit second wheel. The guy in front swings a little wide and I gun it. I hear third wheel cut the chicane short and hop a curb, he's coming.

50 yards, one guy is closing. I grab another gear and eye the finish. 25 yards, one more gear, and I'm there!

I look around and realize I won the sprint! A quick cool-down and I chat with some of the guys in the break. We chat about moves, cramps, and wins.

Finally I make my way over to the results and see....wait. I won my division but got 4th overall? Where were the other three guys? I rode right behind the motorcycle until we broke off, and never had anyone get by my group.

Curious.

Oh well, first division win of the year, 4th overall in the 35-mile race. Ed finished 3rd in his division. 2 podiums for Iron Cycles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment