Iron Cycles has blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ironcycles.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

On test: 2012 Mavic R-SYS SLR

Truth be told, I'm not the world's biggest "wheel system" fan.  Maybe because part of my job is building wheels, or maybe because I enjoy picking each and every component on my bike, or maybe hand-built wheels really are that good.

But when it comes to Mavic there's a lot to like.  Their Ksyrium line is well-known for it's durability, but the R-SYS came out of the gate with a bad rap with a couple of failures.  When something like that happens with new technology, it sticks with people.

I want to like the R-SYS, but I can't in good conscience recommend them to customers until I can feel comfortable with their durability.  What better way to get a feel for these wheels than to ride them!?

With that said, off we go on test.  What am I looking for?  Durability, stiffness, ride quality, and braking performance.  It's pretty easy to see these wheels won't be wowing anyone with their aerodynamics.  Thick spokes and a rim shaped after a brick don't add up to aero savings.  Word on the street though is that the R-SYS line is supposed to be really stiff laterally yet ride nicely.  The new Exalith braking surface is supposed to provide pretty much the best braking this side of hydraulic discs.

On with the test....


No comments:

Post a Comment