Iron Cycles has blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ironcycles.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Long Term Review: Giro Aeon Helmet

Helmets are extremely personal on their fit, much like shoes.  Giro has been in the helmet game for quite some time and have really nailed it with the Aeon.

About a year ago I went away from Giro and picked up a Lazer Helium.  It fit well, I really liked the adjustment, but it was heavy.  Before the Helium I spent some time with the Giro Prolight helmet.  The Prolight was extremely light, but didn't fit well and the adjustment was lack-luster having just an elastic band.

Enter the Giro Aeon.  The lightweight that I (and my neck) want, the fit Giro is known for, and extremely well ventilated.


I chose white/silver because it matched my kit.  Truth be told, I think the black helmet is actually a little better looking.  The Aeon sits low, it's not like a number of other helmets that I think make people look like mushrooms.


Ventilation is generous, maybe the best I've ever used.  The Ionos was the gold standard by which I compared ventilation in helmets, and the Aeon is right there.


At a claimed 222g (mine came in at 226g), this helmet is seriously light.  The Prolight, at 190g, was lighter but sacrificed too much in my opinion to get there.  Roc Loc 5, the newest version of Giro's adjustable strap, is the best in the game.  With enormous vertical adjustment as well, it's easy to position the Roc Loc 5 to be perfectly comfortable.

Whether wearing a cycling cap under this helmet or not, I have found it fits me perfectly.  No pressure points, light weight, excellent ventilation, and top-of-the-heap adjustment make this helmet the one to own.  $250 isn't cheap, but you only have one head, you may as well protect it in style and comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment