Iron Cycles has blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ironcycles.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Zipp 303 Carbon Clincher Firecrest - One Month Review

After only a month it's hard to make a definitive review, but I do feel that I am starting to get an idea of what these wheels are all about.  The marketing data from Zipp says they are almost as aero as the 404 at low yaw angles, but as the yaw angles increase the 303 becomes better and better.

With that out of the way, what I've found from comparing the 303 Firecrest to the 404 Firecrest, is that the 303 is everything the 404 is, just slightly less.  Slightly less weight, slightly less aero, slightly less deep.

This would be a killer wheel for a lighter or smaller time trialist as it's been very easy to handle in cross winds.  The 404 exhibited that same trait, but again the 303 was slightly better in that respect.
 In many instances the difference between the 303 and 404 will be a wash with their performance so similar.  I would recommend the 303 to a smaller customer, someone more concerned with weight, or someone new to deep-section carbon wheels.  I would also recommend the 303 over the 404 for a customer who is likely to run a 25c or greater tire as the 303 is even wider than the 404.
After a month of fall riding, which includes a few rides in the wet, the brake track looks brand new.  I've been using the Zipp/Swiss Stop Platinum pads that came with the wheels, which are replacing my favorite TRP carbon compound pads.  The Platinum pads have produced a little whistling on extended braking, but nothing major.  Also on the up side, the platinum color doesn't leave a residue on the rim like Yellow King or TRP pads can.

So far I'm impressed with the wheels and they seem to fit my style of riding.  I like to spend time out in the wind and taking pulls when my legs and lungs allow.  The wheels are plenty stiff for a sucker like me, and with the new Beyond Black colorway, really look at home on every bike we've mounted them to.

I plan to log plenty more miles and will report back with the findings....

No comments:

Post a Comment