Iron Cycles has blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ironcycles.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Endura Stealth Jacket Review

I have now spent two full winters in this jacket, and now heading into my third, I feel pretty confident in reviewing what has turned into my favorite piece of cold-weather cycling apparel.  It's combination of being extremely wind and water proof, having a great fit, and some nice built-n features made it grow on my quickly and become my go-to.
Above you can see the generous rear pocket (large enough for more than everything you want to carry in a pocket) and an attachment for a rear light.  

The pocket features a waterproof zipper and has stored multiple tubes and CO2's, a dry pair of gloves, phone, wallet, and food.  No problem jamming all of the needed supplies.

The rear light attachment is key of course since people tend to spend a lot of time riding in the dark during the winter.  If I'm not carrying a bag, I always have a light attached.
 The cuffs zipper tightly closed with a waterproof zipper and seal nicely with most gloves.  When wearing something smaller like a wool glove, I'll put the cuff over the glove.  When wearing a bigger lobster, I'll bring the glove over the sleeve.
 Side and pit vents can be a lifesaver with temperature swings, intensity changes, or if you find yourself going inside before continuing your ride.  I personally ride this jacket anytime below about 45 degrees, with nothing more than different layers under it.  The vents really help regulate temperature and moisture inside the jacket.
A chest pocket that's large enough for the essentials, which for me is usually my keys and phone for quick access.  Both the main front zipper and pocket zipper are waterproof.  All seams are "welded" to keep water out as well.

As mentioned, this jacket is with me at essentially all temperatures below 45 degrees.  Above 35 degrees, I use just a basic summer jersey under it.  From 25-35 degrees I usually use only an Endura summer-weight base layer.  From 15-25 degrees I'll wear a winter wool baselayer, below 15 degrees and it'll be a winter wool baselayer with some arm warmers.

The coldest extended ride I have with this jacket was Barry-Roubaix this March.  I wore a thermal CX skinsuit with this jacket over it and was pleasantly surprised at how warm I was.  Unfortunately the Stalth Jacket can't keep my feet as warm as it did for my torso!

I've never ridden in cold enough weather to need two full layers under the jacket.  When it gets that cold I have a trainer calling my name!

With nearly three years of riding with this jacket, it's easy to mistake it for brand new.  Recently a customer even tried to call me on how new the jacket looked and that they didn't believe it had that much riding on it.

It's not a cheap item at $400, but after a few years of riding in it and seeing how warm and dry I was able to stay in some pretty crappy conditions, I'd never give it up.  Never.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete