Iron Cycles has blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ironcycles.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

On Test: 2012 SRAM Red Impressions

I opened up my 2012 SRAM Red review process a couple days ago here, but it was based on the building process and a few initial rides.  After a few more rides and a bunch more miles, I'm remembering why SRAM is so popular in these parts.

For me, there were two major areas to be covered with 2012 Red: front shifting and ergonomics.  Previous generations of SRAM road groups had some lack-luster front shifting that's been covered ad nauseam, so I'll let that one be.  The ergonomics were of concern because I really liked them and didn't want them to change.

Front shifting for 2012 Red, to be straight to the point, is roughly 12,496 times better than before.  My current setup is using Cannondale rings, solely because I had them and didn't want to buy something new, and still shifts wonderfully.  Going from the small ring to the big is smooth, quick, consistent, and light to the touch.  Shifting from the big ring to the small is fast and accurate, and without the trim function on the shifters also requires a much lighter touch.

What is it about this new system that makes the shift that much better?  The Yaw front derailleur no doubt plays a vital role, but I also feel the lever itself helps out.  I'm not sure if it's longer or if the leverage ratio has changed at all, but it seems that a lighter touch is needed to make shifts.


The integrated Chain Catcher is also a really nice touch as it's design allows independent adjustment from the front derailleur.  Chain retention systems have become incredibly popular ever since the Schleck Incident, but we've been using them for some time and this one offers unmatched ease of set-up.


The 2012 Red rear derailleur is mostly unchanged, which in my opinion is a great thing.  SRAM's rear shifting has always been fast and precise, not something I would mess with either.  Graphics have been redesigned to match the rest of the new group but the important stuff is as it should be.


Ergonomics are gladly only slightly massaged.  The shift levers find themselves in a very familiar position, though the brake levers and hoods have been slightly reworked.  I can say if were riding in the drops I probably wouldn't notice much other than an easier reach to the brake lever.


The upturn at the front of the hood concerned me when I saw early drawings, but once installed on my bike I didn't notice the extra height.  That is, I didn't notice the height until I hit a sizable rock on the DPRT that may have knocked my hand off of the hoods with a less exaggerated shape.


Gore housing coming stock is a nice touch, though for my use I'll probably be switching over to the Gore Sealed System for cyclocross.  For this original build of 2012 SRAM Red I wanted to use the cables/housing that came stock for a more accurate representation of what customers will get out of the box.


So far I'm psyched on 2012 Red.  I delayed the switch because I have been very happy with Dura-Ace, but SRAM was smart and addressed the few issues they had, improved on the things that were already good, all while improving their industry-leading weight.

Now, how about making some other colors available aftermarket?  Not all of us are looking for a splash of the color red on our bikes....

No comments:

Post a Comment