Iron Cycles has blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ironcycles.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Future of Cyclocross is Disc?

After spending an entire summer longing for cyclocross season to come, I'm finally getting close.  This has been an interesting year too, with all of the new technology coming and the UCI now allowing disc wheels.

But this got me thinking, what's really the benefit of discs?  They aren't light, in fact they weigh quite a bit more.  I'd guess a disc wheel could resist sand buildup that a shallow rim could accumulate, but does that make up for the weight?


Let's get past the weight issue and move on to durability.  If a disc wheel can get a hole punched into it in a wheel bag, how is it supposed to stand up to a mass-start race where crashes are inevitable?  This one already has a hole in it, and the season hasn't even started!


And what's this about improved braking?  I don't claim to be a plastics expert, but this braking seems like it'll be the same as any other carbon wheel.  I've heard claims of better braking in adverse conditions, but I'm just not buying.


This particular disc does have dimples, but aerodynamics don't really matter in cyclocross.  The braking isn't going to be better on a disc wheel than any other carbon wheel.  Disc wheels are heavy.

After much thought I think I'm going to skip disc wheels for cyclocross.  I don't get all of the hype....

No comments:

Post a Comment